Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Art Gallery Visit- Extension request granted

For my first art gallery visit, I went to the Burchfield Penney Art Gallery next to Buffalo State. I would have gone to the Albright Knox, but they were closed on my only available day to go. I did not think I would much enjoy the visit, and found myself very surprised. The artwork I will be posting was very beautiful to me, as was the rest that I saw. I could not believe the incredible attention to detail that I came across. One piece that made an impression on me was by Carolyn Panzica from 2010. It was sugar string work over a sugar covered based. It was "Untitled". It was absolutely beautiful! It impressed me because it reminded me of a small wedding cake and was approximately 2 1/2 feet high in an enclosed glass case. The details, the symmetry, the sheer design: all beautiful. Another piece of art that impacted me was by Fotini Renzoni titled "Conspiracy" from 2010. It was graphite on claybord. Just like the sugar piece, the attention to detail was astounding. I will post an up close picture to give you an idea of how painstakingly the artist drew. The plaque next to the piece said for every square inch, it took 2 hours of work. I would estimate it probably took the artist 4-5 months of work to complete it. Another piece that impacted me was by John Tracey in 2007 called "Untitled" and it was fired stoneware clay, oil based paint, and graphite. It looked like a sculpture and a piece of something in nature both at the same time. It had beautiful symmetry, yet it was sort of unbalanced. It was about 3 feet high and 2 feet in diameter.
Some of the art I felt connect to was two other pieces by Carolyn Panzica. One was called "Untitled" from 2007 and was sugar string work over sugar covered base. This also looked like a cake, about 3 feet high, and it had a lovely half dome on the top. What i related to was the bright colors. I LOVED the colors. There was so much texture, too! I just felt like it was something i could see myself trying to create. Her other piece, also "Untitled" from 2010  was also sugar string work over sugar covered base. This resembled a sheet cake, it was maybe 3x3 feet. The colors were in half squares over the top, and again this is what struck me. I love bright colors. The 3rd piece of art I felt connected to was by Felice Koenig called "I glow for you" from 2010. It was acrylic on canvas. It was about 5x5 feet. It was AMAZING. I took a close look and could literally see layers upon layers of acrylic "droplets" of all different colors of paint, mainly oranges and reds. I cannot imagine how long this must have taken to make. I related to the colors, and also the complexity of it. I am a complex person, and it just seemed like if I were a piece of art, maybe that would be me.
The three pieces of art I would like to know more about were different that the rest. One was by Katherine Sehr called "Untitled" from 2007 and was ink on paper. This piece was huge, maybe 6 feet by 5 feet. Standing far back, it just looked like a grey large rectangle but up close, the details were SO intricate. I would like to know how she made this, through stamping or but drawing by hand. I also want to know what prompted her to make it. Another piece was by Jozef Bajus from 2010 called "Object MC-12", which was paper, cotton thread, taped, and mixed media. This to me looked like an oddly shaped book. I read on a plaque that he made it achordion-like so that the gallery could decide how they wanted to display it. I'd like to know how he got the idea to used paper to "weave" like material. Also, if this was the result of one attempt or several hundred attempts. The last piece that interested me was by Carylon Panzica called "Untitled" from 2011, using the sugar string on sugar base. This was like a sheet cake and I wanted to know why all her work seems to resemble cakes and if that is on purpose. Perhaps she used to be a pastry chef? The pattern on the cake itself had an almost "Religious" feel to it, since it looked like something that could be on stained glass church windows. I'd like to know what her inspiration was for it.
Below are the pictures of the art referred to above.


 This above one is a close up of the graphit to show the details.




 This above is a close up of the ink on paper to show the details.


5 comments:

  1. I like the work that is done by Carolyn Panzica. She is a Rhode Island School of Design graduate and cake decorator. I enjoy cake decorating because if you can imagine it, you can make it out of cake. It is a new material to create art from. I liked Fontini Renzoni Conspiracy, also. His use of line to create flourishes is so interesting. He says he never knows what the final artwork will look like. He just starts to make lines and follows it through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your project because you went to a different gallery and had different pieces of work to share. I really like the bottom two pieces and would be curious to know more about them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also like the works you chose by Carolyn Panzica. When I view art, I am immediately attracted to color as well. I think color attracts people because it evokes emotion, and human are naturally emotional beings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello again!,

    When I first scrolled down your blog, your pictures during this post caught my immediate attention. I had to look and see what project it was for and I was thinking maybe you lived out of town and went to a museum out of the area. What a pleasant surprise it was to see that the images you took was from our very out Birchfield Penney Art Gallery. I'm looking forward to visiting that for our next Gallery visit because you took photos of very intriging artworks. The ink on paper reminds me of the "scribble" exhibit at Albright Knox that we reviewed for a previous assignment. Well done!

    Thanks, Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just like everyone else these photos immediately caught my eye because i did not see these in the albright knox. The second and third pieces were very good.

    ReplyDelete